Transmission oil change

R51 specific technical questions & information

Moderator: Forum Administrator

Transmission oil change

Postby Wade » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:23 pm

Hi guys, Is someone there able to advise me about the sealed transmission system in my 2010 R51. Is there a transmission filter that needs and can be changed, I tow a three tonne van and would like the oil changed at some stage. I don't want to see $$$$ in a new transmission. Thanks.
2010 STL Auto, Lightforce, Nudge Bar, Air springs, Snorkel, Taipan XP 3" exhaust, HR hitch, Black Widow storage, Hankook Dynapro LT-265.65.17, EGT guage, EGR blocked.
Wade

Re: Transmission oil change

Postby philip48 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:48 am

When you say sealed, do you mean no dipstick ? Like the 550Ti.
I have some instructions on 550Ti gearbox which may help.
2011 550Ti Silver. Genuine Nissan Alloy bull bar, Hayman Reece tow bar, dual bat relay, home made boat loader, polyairs, BF Goodrich A/T LT, Uniden CB, Crash Camera.
philip48

Location - Town or City: Sydney NSW

Postby DavidV » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:57 pm

Hi Philip,
welcome any info you can share. I have 2011 Ti 550. It's only got 74,000kms on the clock and I wanted to change the oil in the transmission.
I've look everywhere and cannot find the dipstick or where to refill the transmission. Any info you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
David
DavidV

Location - Town or City: Glenhaven
Location - State: NSW
Location - Country: Australia

Postby Curcho » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:24 pm

My 2011 series 4 has a sealed auto box. No dipstick at all. To change the fluid you have to dump the fluid via the atf sump plug and then refill via an access port where the dipstick would normally be. Takes about 8.5 ltrs from memory.
Curcho

Location - Town or City: Perth
Location - State: WA

Postby DavidV » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:28 pm

Hi Curcho,
thanks for the reply. Do you have any picks showing where the Access Port is or any tips how to get at it, ie from under neither or through the engine bay?
What tool/s are need to remove the plug for the access port? I want to make sure I can get at it before I drop the oil.

FYI I called a few Nissan spare parts dealers only to be told, min quantity is 20 LTRs and I'm still waiting on the call back to confirm the cost.

If any one is interested, I had the genuine trans fluid shipped from the US. You can get it here https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/
Fast and no issues at all with the transaction or delivery.

Now all I need to know is how to get the trans fluid back in :) :?
DavidV

Location - Town or City: Glenhaven
Location - State: NSW

Postby Curcho » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:25 pm

Hi David.

Sorry mate, i dont get on here much. I dont have a pic but ill see if i can grab one tomorrow. If you crawl under from about the drivers door, on the drivers side of the trans, up towards the top, theres a cast section sticking out of the trans that normal a dipstick tube presses into. I think 2 10mm bolts hold a blanking plate on the top of it. You remove the plate then i useda weed sprayer to pump in the fluid.
Curcho

Postby Curcho » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:27 pm

Once you pump in about 9 litres, start the car and undo the small 5ml allen key plug on the bottom front of the trans pan. When the fluid stops pouring out and becomes a trickle, it is at the right level. I used penrite LV, for the series 4.
Curcho

Postby toymaz » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:25 pm

My 2012 doesn't have dipstick either, I tow a fairly heavy camper trailer, and also wanted to service it. Local Nissan dealer Told me they could not find a listing on the oil as you don't need to change it....But we all know Nissan are Muppets!
I took mine to a trusted transmission shop, they serviced the trans, and also bypassed the radiator, as he said it's the only drama he had seen with the R51 auto when water gets in the oil.
Cheers
2012 white St Auto, Safari Snorkel, 2"lift,. ARB bullbar
toymaz

Postby DarekD » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:02 am

Guys, please, take your car to a proper auto mechanic every 50,000, especially if you towing. None of them will ever by pass the radiator as it's the only trans fluid cooling you have when going hard slowly or stopped. Like in soft sand or slow traffic. Ones that by pass are cowboys and should stay in the paddock. They are just creating work for themselves by making auto box overheat and fail prematurely.

You need to remove the oil pan, replace filter, clean the magnet and adjust or tighten everything to do it properly. Happy to recommend Bob Grant Automatics in Coorparoo, Brisbane. Highway Automatics wanted to do a by pass . Don't go there.

To stop coolant ingress service the cooling system at 5 years from new and then every 4 as per service schedule. This will pick any problems with pressure test. And just monitor coolant level occasionally, it will never go down without a reason.

Please read some technical info before posting as you are incorrect and only creating problems for others. Or just don't post rubbish.
DarekD

Location - Town or City: Brisbane
Location - State: QLD

Postby Luthor » Thu May 10, 2018 10:43 pm

The correct procedure for changing/flushing the transmission fluid is in the workshop manual.
Luthor

Return to R51 Pathfinder (2005 to 2013)