Improved Suspension

R51 specific technical questions & information

Moderator: Forum Administrator

Improved Suspension

Postby Coloes » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:02 pm

Greetings all and Happy New Year.
In preparation for a trip from East to West I would like to hear your views on improved suspension over the standard. We have a 2011 ST with 130,000kms on the clock and although it is adequate I feel it needs replacing prior to our trip. We tow a Coromal 535 pop-top with TARE 1313kg, ATM 1650kg and GTM 1468kg. I'm not looking at lift kits or air bags but improved springs/shocks and have thought of Pedders or Ironman suspension but have yet to discuss with these companies.
Your thoughts and comments appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Coloes

Location - Town or City: Narre Warren
Location - State: Victoria
Location - Country: Australia

Re: Improved Suspension

Postby Wazza » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:24 pm

I am keen to hear the responses for this one.... it's a great question.

I would add a follow on question to yours - can you upgrade / improve the standard factory suspension without increasing the ride height?
2011 ST-L Diesel. All stock.
Wazza

Location - Town or City: Brisbane
Location - State: QLD

Postby Smitty » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:24 am

Yes you can put in standard height springs and shocks and just go for a name brand... Most of them do.

Remember springs set the height, not the shocks, then the shocks stop it bouncing.

Airbags are great especially if you tow as you can adjust the pressure to match the weight.

Also of note... The USA pathfinder came out with 265/75r16 standard, that is a 32" tyre near as damn it... You can go bigger tyres which give more clearance without changing the dynamics of the vehicle with a lift kit.
R51 Pathfinder and a go anywhere attitude
Smitty
PCoA Administrator

Location - Town or City: PCOA
Location - State: ACT Chapter
Location - Country: Down Under

Postby Wazza » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:11 pm

Thanks Smitty.

Do you have an opinion on what sort of KM's traveled would be a good time to look at new shocks / suspension components? I've done 98k in the 2011... to me it still rides and handles well but I would definitely be keen to upgrade / change very soon...

I am running 265/75/R17 General Grabbers AT3's. I did consider a HT in December when I put teh AT3's on - and I think it would probably have changed the driving experience somewhat?
2011 ST-L Diesel. All stock.
Wazza

Postby Smitty » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:01 pm

I would stick to an at if you go off road at all.

Best test for the shocks is push down on the corner of the car... It should spring back once... Single bounce... If it bobs around like jello they probably need replacing.

The springs will depend on how much it sags when you load the vehicle
R51 Pathfinder and a go anywhere attitude
Smitty
PCoA Administrator

Location - Town or City: PCOA
Location - State: ACT Chapter
Location - Country: Down Under

Postby DarekD » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:48 am

Definitely no lift, definitely air bags and definitely not Pedders. Please have a look for my earlier posts. I run 265/75/16, not sure 17" that profile would fit? As for shocks I have installed EFS. OK but would not do it again. Probably Koni.
Below is a reply from 4WD direct when I was looking for longer travel shock. They don't exist as you limited by half axle angle so if you lift the car your down travel is gone. So is most of up travel as the spring will not compress that much. The best you can get is less than 110mm total front suspension travel, same as factory. I have installed longer travel ones at the back, for 50mm lift, but with standard springs and air bags. All well explained in my other posts.

BILSTEIN LENGTHS @ 382/278mm - NIL STOCK TILL Approx. LATE AUGUST LOVELLS S2 LENGTHS @ 386/277mm - AVAILABLE (both measured as industry standard - Centre of lower eye to 1st Washer position on upper stud.) OR IRONMAN FOAM CELL ELITE @ 388/283mm - AVAILABLE IRONMAN FOAM CELL 'PRO' @ 389/283mm - NIL STOCK TILL Approx. MID AUG.
(both measured as industry standard - Centre of lower eye to 1st Washer position on upper stud.)

Regards,

PAUL
4WD DIRECT
1300 881 481
0406 476 840
DarekD

Postby toymaz » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:00 pm

I agree with Smitty, air bags are great for towing.
I looked into heavy duty springs originally, i was also talked out of them by a couple of suspension shops. If you towed all the time yes, but as ours is a family car also heavy duty will shake your teeth out.My camper fully loaded weighs 2000kg, the air bags are perfect for it.
Maybe put new shocks and consider air bags.I now have bilstein rears after rock damage on central aus trip.
Im very happy with them.
2012 white St Auto, Safari Snorkel, 2"lift,. ARB bullbar
toymaz

Return to R51 Pathfinder (2005 to 2013)