Cold start noise

R51 specific technical questions & information

Moderator: Forum Administrator

Cold start noise

Postby blueprint » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:10 pm

Hi All

I have a 2011 R51, with 148k on it, over the period of a couple of months it has developed the noise that can be heard on this youtube clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urQbx-miO5E, though mine isn't as bad. Happens only on cold start, my driveway is about 200m long and has a steep hill that requires a little bit of throttle input to get up, by the time I'm at the end of the driveway it's gone, similarly if I lift the revs even slightly above idle it goes away which sort of leads me down the line of it being oil pressure related. Noise comes from passenger side of the engine/engine bay but I can't pin it down to a single location (i.e. it seams evenly spread). I've read about the cold start injector thing and heard that but this doesn't seem consistent with that, nor is it consistent with a timing chain noise (this is the double row chain model from what I can tell). Any ideas what it could be?

Cheers
Jed
blueprint

Location - Town or City: Perth WA

Re: Cold start noise

Postby Bruce » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:43 am

I have a noise like that on the passenger side but ut's very elusive. Doesn't always do it and when it does it's only for a little while when cold. I asked my mechanic to check it out during service a few months ago but they couldn't hear anything, and it would never happen whenever I tried to record it.
Then at the last service I was told there might be a timing chain issue due to a telltale noise. When I said that the timing chain had already been upgraded at about 150,000km (so the replacement chain has only been in for about 90,000km) they ruled that out and had a closer look. Apparently it was determined to be a loose/flapping gasket in the exhaust. I haven't been back yet to have this fixed, and the noise as usual has gone away, but when I do I'll let you know the outcome.
2008 2.5TD ST-L, OME lift, Nissan bullbar, custom steel sliders, SCA winch, Tradesman roofrack BFG KO2 265/70R17, DigOptions S160 Android head unit, GME TX3220 UHF.
Bruce

Postby MrBurns » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:55 pm

Altinator clutch pulley, I’m about to do mine.

I couldn’t quite see properly has the rubber seal deteriorated? If so that shows signs of it getting worn and hot so investigate that part I’d suggest.
2006 ST-L Manual, ARB Deluxe Bar, K&N, AirbagMan Bags, Rhino Bars half cage and shovel holder, Awning, Throttle Controller, Compressor, RedArc Dual Battery Isolator, RedArc Tow Pro 2 Brake Controller, Recovery Points, Pioneer Sat, Full LED conv
265/70/17 AT's
Tough Dog adjustable lift kit
MrBurns

Location - Town or City: Eastern
Location - State: Victoria
Location - Country: Australia

Postby blueprint » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:30 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'll look into the alternator clutch and see if there is something obvious but my first response is that the noise (which I can reasonably reliably replicate, just takes 10-12 hours to be able to do it if you miss it) sounds like it's coming from further back in the engine bay, that car's not mine, mine just sounds the same and has other similar symptoms. Exhaust gasket sounds like a strong possibility will have a look and let you know what I find.

Cheers
blueprint

Location - Town or City: Perth WA

Return to R51 Pathfinder (2005 to 2013)