Auto transmission service

Show off your R51's and discuss your mods. Please do not overload your thread with photos, unless hosted elsewhere.

Moderator: Forum Administrator

Auto transmission service

Postby colfw » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:17 pm

Hi all, I have a 2012 ST-L and asked Nissan dealer to change and flush the auto as we tow a caravan and all up weight 5 ton.
The Parthy has 60,000 km and dealer said no service is needed. I have one quote from an auto transmission shop for $550 to flush, and change
the oil with a new filter. He tells me that this should happen every 50,000 K does this sound right, if so can any one recommend an auto service
place in Brisbane as Nissan dealer does not seem interested.
colfw

Location - Town or City: Brisbane
Location - State: QLD
Location - Country: Australia

Re: Auto transmission service

Postby Mika » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:53 pm

If Nissan say it’s not required, I’d go with it. Check the colour of your trans fluid if you’re worried.
'96 R50 Ti - Tough Dog 2" lift, AirLift 1000's, Rola racks and basket, 31' Maxxis Bighorn MTs, LPG, VDO cruise control, D22 Free wheeling hubs, kaymar spare wheel carrier - Gone to car heaven :(
'09 R51 ST-L - bog stock
Mika

Postby toymaz » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:35 pm

Hi
Yes nissan says its not required, they probably would not know how.
I would recommend getting the auto serviced every 50k too, especially towing that amount.
2012 white St Auto, Safari Snorkel, 2"lift,. ARB bullbar ,egr block, 3"exhaust, provent 200,
toymaz

Postby JordanV » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:40 am

Despite dealers saying that the auto trans doesn't need servicing, they are referring to the life of the trans not the vehicle, eg, never serviced, will need new trans well before the entire vehicle packs up.
Its a money making scam, all oil will need changing at some point.
Charcoal 2012 ST-L, Dobinsons 60mm Lift, 80Ah Thumper, Custom Stainless Roof Rack, Long Range Aux Tank, Custom Rear Twin Wheel Carrier, Much Much More Planned for the future.
JordanV

Location - Town or City: Adelaide
Location - State: South Australia

Postby Benno » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:01 pm

Hi

I tend to lean towards over service, have you checked out xmssn replacement cost!

Not sure what xmssn you have, I am running the 7 speed auto.

I tow a 2.75T van & make it a practice to service the box every 20000.
My local xmssn man (Noosa area) charges $280 to replace oil (Penrite full synthetic) & filter & generally report on condition etc
I have also installed a temp gauge so as to monitor xmssn temp, especially on long uphill stretches.

Benno
Benno

Location - Town or City: Doonan
Location - State: QLD

Return to R51 pathfinder (2005 - 2013)