Limp-mode whilst driving

R51 specific technical questions & information

Moderator: Forum Administrator

Limp-mode whilst driving

Postby Joey » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:18 pm

About 3 times per week, a 2006 2.5 TDI is entering limp mode whilst driving. Any ideas why this might happen?
There is no regular pattern to this but during drives, the engine warning light come on and the engine enters limp-mode. The engine continues to run but no power at all. This continues but can be reset by turning the engine off-on again.
At the garage, a general fuel fault was detected. This was cleared, the fuel filter changed plus a few other minor clean ups. I wonder if the issue is more electrical.
Any trouble shooting ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Joey

Location - Town or City: perth
Location - State: Western Australia
Location - Country: Australia

Re: Limp-mode whilst driving

Postby alesal » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:51 am

It´s happen me the same but with no warning light, turning off-on solve the problem and never again. Another owner´s have the same problem.
In your case yoy will to scan to see the warnig codes. Maf sensor Check Limp mode in Google
alesal

Location - Town or City: concepcion chile

Postby Blair78 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:11 am

More than likely to be the suction control valve, seems to be a rather common fault on these engines.
It doesn't throw a specific code either.
Blair78

Location - Town or City: Nagambie,Victoria

Postby Wazza » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:43 pm

Hi Guys

I have had my 2011 STL lose power under throttle 3 times in the last 3 years. 12 months ago coming into SYD from MEL. I did some research and saw a post somewhere that the MAF is at fault...

So i bought a can of MAF sensor cleaner. I had the same issue just a few days ago driving from SYD to Bris... i pulled over, took out the sensor and gave it a spray. Replaced and carried on for another 600km with no issue.
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/liq ... 94236.html
2011 ST-L Diesel. All stock.
Wazza

Location - Town or City: Brisbane
Location - State: QLD

Postby crewy » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:20 am

I had the same issue and strangely enough it was my electrical plug connection to the front of the fuel rail. The clip had broken so I reconnected with a few cable ties and it’s never happened since.
crewy

Location - Town or City: Perth
Location - State: WA

Postby Redfoxza » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:43 pm

Hi There

I had a similiar problem and it got worse with time, spend around $800 on what the codes told me that was wrong but did not help.
i bit the bullet and took it to Nissan for a full diagnose code reading ($173) and it was my ABS unit in the end. I replaced it and no problems.
There is many thing that make that lights come on as I found out....Nissan is the only place the can read all the codes unfortunately. :-(

Cheers
Redfoxza

Location - Town or City: Bunbury
Location - State: WA

Return to R51 Pathfinder (2005 to 2013)