Secondary fuel filter and catch can

R51 specific technical questions & information

Moderator: Forum Administrator

Postby JordanV » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:54 pm

Hi all, wondering if anyone has installed a secondary filter and catch can on their rig. If so, did you find kits online or are there bricks and mortar shops around that sell them. cheers
Charcoal 2012 ST-L, Dobinsons 60mm Lift, 80Ah Thumper, Custom Stainless Roof Rack, Long Range Aux Tank, Custom Rear Twin Wheel Carrier, Much Much More Planned for the future.
JordanV

Location - Town or City: Adelaide
Location - State: South Australia
Location - Country: Australia

Re: Secondary fuel filter and catch can

Postby MACH6 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:34 pm

I did both on mine.
Got a Provent 200 and fitted it myself with a few Ebay silicone hoses and a DIY modification to the drain where I put a 90 deg elbow in place of the vertical barb.
Make sure you get the real one as all of the others are terrible and do not stop the oil mist at all. The real one has a polyethylene mat to attract the hydrocarbon mist and gets it to condense.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ProVent-200 ... rk:95:pf:0

I also fitted a secondary fuel filter from baileys diesel and mounted it off the power steering oil reservoir bracket.
https://www.baileysdiesel.com/shop/univ ... ilter-kit/
MACH6

Postby Gandalf » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:31 pm

I have a blue aluminium catch can, no idea what brand. It is just an empty can inside with the hoses connected on top. Seems to work though as I drained about 250 ml from it on Sunday. Mind you I don't know how long it took to collect that as I just bought the car.

My catch can is mounted off the power steering res, where did you mount the secondary fuel filter?

Is the fuel in Aus so bad that we need secondary filters, or is it just that Nissan diesel is susceptible to fuel problems?

cheers
2007 R51 Iron man Bullbar and lots of plans, but not so much cash.
Gandalf

Location - Town or City: Revesby
Location - State: NSW

Postby Dingo » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:11 pm

Gandalf wrote:I have a blue aluminium catch can, no idea what brand. It is just an empty can inside with the hoses connected on top. Seems to work though as I drained about 250 ml from it on Sunday. Mind you I don't know how long it took to collect that as I just bought the car.

My catch can is mounted off the power steering res, where did you mount the secondary fuel filter?

Is the fuel in Aus so bad that we need secondary filters, or is it just that Nissan diesel is susceptible to fuel problems?

cheers

That surprises me that catchcan caught anything. There is nothing for the oil to condense too. They are crap. You can fill it with steel wool and it should work better. Provents are the best though

Secondary filters aren't really required if you just stick to the city. Going remote it is a good idea as there can be water in the fuel. Especially don't fill up if the tanker is there filling the stations tanks. This will stir up all the water in the tank and you will get it in your yours with a costly fix in the range of $5-10k.
2010 ST-L Auto, HPD front mount intercooler, EGR block, catchcan, 3" turbo back zorst, EGT Gauge, Unichip, Ultragauge, Front - Radflo coilovers & Chaos Fab UCA's, Rear - OME springs, Polyairs, Radflo remote reservoir shocks SOLD
Dingo

Postby Coloes » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:27 pm

I fitted the Diesel Care secondary fuel filter and Flashlube Catchcan Pro Kit (Part No. FCCKT-25) which fits neatly beside the Radiator. Both were fairly straight forward installations taking around 3 hours for each to fit. Some photo's attached. Recommend both these kits.
Attachments
PCoA Photo.JPG
PCoA.JPG
Coloes

Location - Town or City: Narre Warren
Location - State: Victoria

Postby Gandalf » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:23 am

Thanks Dingo and Coloes.

I will definitely upgrade my catch can. A bit surprised at how expensive they are for such a simple piece of equipment made from plastic!
As for the secondary filter, price is about the same as a catch can and it can save from very expensive damage so I guess it may be worth it.

Very tidy installation Coloes, did the hoses come also in a kit, where did you purchase them from?
2007 R51 Iron man Bullbar and lots of plans, but not so much cash.
Gandalf

Location - Town or City: Revesby
Location - State: NSW

Return to R51 Pathfinder (2005 to 2013)