2009 TI Pathfinder

R51 specific technical questions & information

Moderator: Forum Administrator

2009 TI Pathfinder

Postby PH1 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:36 pm

Hi all
I have recently purchased a 2009 Nissan Pathfinder, while negotiating the deal the dealership agreed to service the vehicle... but a couple of weeks ago I’ve noticed coolant leaking down the side of the motor.. very hard to determine where from, I can top up the canister and it will be nearly empty after driving for 10mins...pink fluid is visible down below the thermostat housing... so I had it taken to Nissan and while fixing something else got them to have a look. After receiving the car back they told me I had a coolant leak and required the head to be removed to find the problem.... my car is not over heating or is the oil milky, I did ask how they came to this conclusion and I was told , it was determined by a visual inspection without a pressure test...... getting back to the start after looking into it , I have the wrong coolant in the car from purchase as it’s supposed to have green not red, could this have caused the issue ?
I could really use some helpful advice guys , as this seems a expensive fix on s car I have only just recently purchased.
PH1

Location - Town or City: Woombah
Location - State: Nsw
Location - Country: Australia

Re: 2009 TI Pathfinder

Postby johng » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:23 pm

I think the coolant may come in different colours, but have the same spec. Different brands have different colours, (I think!)
The coolant is a corrosion inhibitor and if the wrong spec coolant was used, I think there'd be internal leaks before external.
Can you post a close up picture of where the coolant is leaking from?

Also, it sounds like the workshop is being unprofessional. Go somewhere else and get a proper test done. If that much coolant is leaking in a 10 minute drive, it surely must be obvious where it's coming from.
2009 R51 Pathfinder ST-L 2.5 Auto
johng

Return to R51 Pathfinder (2005 to 2013)