Demisting Windscreen

R51 specific technical questions & information

Moderator: Forum Administrator

Demisting Windscreen

Postby Pegeru » Sun May 27, 2018 5:54 pm

Hi guys,
had my R51 for about six months now. Haven't had much to complain about except for a battery drain that I've yet to identify. This I've been able to live with until I get some time to track down the culprit. Now that the weather in Tas has turned a bit wintery I'm having trouble with the windscreen fogging up badly to the point that running the fan and aircon flat out fail to clear it all. Anyone else had this issue? What should I be looking at?

Peter
Pegeru

Location - Town or City: Queenstown
Location - State: Tasmania
Location - Country: Australia

Re: Demisting Windscreen

Postby DarekD » Sun May 27, 2018 10:33 pm

Hi Peter,
Cut the green wire before you kill your battery. Just cut it, I did mine after the first time the batt got flat and never had the problem since. The car was six months old and I have never bothered to reconnect it when servicing in the warranty period.
As for fogging problem I always use air con on recycled air, never fresh. Try and see.

Cheers
Darek
DarekD

Location - Town or City: Brisbane
Location - State: QLD

Postby BurnsOil » Mon May 28, 2018 12:01 am

Clean the windscreen inside with window cleaner - works for me. Also I use fresh air rather than recirculated air as the air is colder before it enters the car and hence contains less moisture than warm moist recycled air.
2006 R51 Blue ST TD Man, Smartbar, Spotlights, AirLift 1000, TJM Bash Plates, Rhino Roof Racks, ARB 60l Fridge, dual battery, Oricom 280 UHF, Prodigy trailer brake controller.
Challenge Off-Road Camper Trailer.
BurnsOil

Postby Pegeru » Mon May 28, 2018 6:06 am

Yes I've disconnected the green wire Darek and still having problems. I keep thinking (gut feeling) it may be the alternator diode. I've tried a different battery with same results. Battery drains over 5-6 days.

I tried recycled and fresh with similar results. The air can be very cold and damp where here in south west Tasmania so logically I would have thought recirculated air would be the better option. It's not only the windscreen fogging up though, it's all the windows. I did note some sort of residue on the windscreen that seemed a bit oily. I'll give the window cleaner a go BurnsOil and report back.

Peter
Pegeru

Location - Town or City: Queenstown
Location - State: Tasmania

Postby DarekD » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:59 pm

Interesting, maybe the battery is just not holding the charge. I have a problem with another car where is was loosing water. Putting it on rejuvenation charge (whatever it does on this smart charger) have improved the situation. Measure your charging voltage, should be around 14V.
I have lived in climates much colder than any experienced in Australia and recycled air worked better than fresh. Simple physics, air-con removes moisture from the air. Just give it time to work. For cleaning I use glass micro fibre cloth with no cleaner and water as I have tint film inside. All glass cleaners have solvents that damage tint film.
Good luck
DarekD

Location - Town or City: Brisbane
Location - State: QLD

Postby NickJ » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:39 am

Aircon is the best as everyone has mentioned. You may find that there may be a water leak somewhere that could be causing the foggy windscreen.. Check under your front mats for moisture.

Nick
2004 Pathfinder TI, FWH, Front Lokka, 265/70-16 AT693 / 31" Bighorns, Pedders
2008 BT50 SDX. 31" Bighorns, front eLocker, ARB winch bar, ARB Canopy
NickJ
PCoA Administrator & VIC Rep

Location - Town or City: Willow Grove - Victoria Closer to the High Country
Location - State: Victoria

Return to R51 Pathfinder (2005 to 2013)