Aftermarket Foglamp Fiting to R51 ST

R51 specific technical questions & information

Moderator: Forum Administrator

Aftermarket Foglamp Fiting to R51 ST

Postby Coloes » Fri May 11, 2018 5:56 pm

Hi all, new to the club and recently I purchased a pair of aftermarket Fog Lamps to fill the hole that is blanked off. My question is - does the wiring loom for the ST have plugs for these lamps and if so, are they wired up to come on when high beam is selected? OK so it's two questions. I would like to think Nissan used just one loom for all models and just connected accessories to suit each model.
Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
Coloes

Location - Town or City: Narre Warren
Location - State: Victoria
Location - Country: Australia

Re: Aftermarket Foglamp Fiting to R51 ST

Postby ImNotLost » Mon May 14, 2018 4:10 pm

Fog lights can come on with your parking lights. When you have an ST-L or higher, the indicator/light stalk has another ring on it to turn the fog lamps on. So, even if the wiring loom is there, the switch won't be.
Richard
2001 FZJ105 Landcruiser 50th Anniversary Manual, 2" lift, 305/70R16 play tyres. Yes, it's a Cruiser, it's petrol and I'm never going to get Pathy economy :( Image
Previous: 2012 ST-L Thunder Blue Manual. Image
our other car is a 2006 Diesel Astra manual. Goes hard and uses little fuel!
ImNotLost
PCoA Legacy Member

Location - Town or City: Winston Hills NSW

Postby Coloes » Mon May 14, 2018 6:18 pm

I thought that might be the case, should have bought an ST-L!
Thanks.
Coloes

Postby toymaz » Sun May 20, 2018 10:25 pm

Hi
I looked into the this a while ago,but haven't done it yet.
Apparently all you need is a factory fog/light/indicator switch.
And on the D40 forum , I seen a how to....Using a diode and soldering on 2extra wires on your standard switch, running them to a universal switch to turn on and off the fog lights, they still work exactly the same and even illuminate the fog light symbol on the dash.
I could post the pics if you were interested.
Cheers
2012 white St Auto, Safari Snorkel, 2"lift,. ARB bullbar
toymaz

Postby stuartcarr2002 » Mon May 21, 2018 8:06 am

Just go to a wrecker and get an STL or Ti switch, even and STX D40 Spain built will work, the wiring is all there and the dash light is fitted.

The only thing you may have to change is the plug as it is set up for Genuine fog lights, apart from that your ready to go.
NP300 ST-X Auto D/Cab :)
stuartcarr2002

Location - Town or City: Berowra NSW

Postby Justpotholes » Tue May 29, 2018 6:12 pm

An section from the RACQ on Fog Lights.

Fog lights

Front fog lights are generally low mounted, high intensity, short-range lights that may be yellow or white in colour. Rear fog lights are red in colour and are about the same intensity as a brake light.

Rear fog lights are intended to make the vehicle more conspicuous in foggy conditions, while front fog lights improve visibility by penetrating fog.

Front fog lights are often confused with driving lights. However, they differ from driving lights in that they must operate independently of headlights while driving lights may only operate in conjunction with high beam headlights. The beam pattern and illumination range of the two are also quite different.

Misuse of fog lights is a common source of motorist complaints and their acceptable use is defined in law.

They may only be used in adverse weather conditions, such as fog or heavy rain, that reduces visibility.
The use of front or rear fog lights in clear conditions (day or night) is an offence.

For information about fitting aftermarket fog lights see Sections 89 and 90 of Transport Operation (Road Use Management – Vehicle Standards and Safety) Regulation 2010. Acceptable use is outlined in Section 217 of Transport Operations (Road Use Management – Road Rule) Regulation 2009.Front fog lights are designed to better illuminate the road in fog, snowfall, rainstorms or dust clouds

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This cutting from QLD GOV TMR Dept

Fog lights

You can only use front or rear fog lights if it is difficult to see other vehicles or objects due to poor weather conditions—such as heavy rain or fog.

You must not use fog lights in clear weather conditions, whether it is day or night.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Cutting from NSW Gov Road Safety

About a third of car crashes occur at night. Pedestrians, bicycle riders and motorcyclists are harder to see at night than they are during the day.

The information given in this section is a guide only and is subject to change at any time without notice.

This information is also available in the Road Users Handbook.

You can access the full text of the NSW Road Rules on the NSW Legislation website.
On this page

Lights and warning devices
Headlights
Parking lights
Fog lights

Hazard warning lights
Horns and other warning devices
Emergency vehicles

Lights and warning devices

At night or when driving in hazardous weather conditions with reduced visibility, your vehicle must have clearly visible:

Headlights
Tail lights
Number plate lights
Clearance lights and side marker lights if these are fitted to your vehicle.

Headlights

In many daytime situations driving with your vehicle’s headlights on can improve the likelihood of being seen by other road users. This applies to both country and city driving situations.

Your headlights must be on when:

Driving between sunset and sunrise
At any other time when there is not enough daylight to be able to see a person wearing dark clothing at a distance of 100 metres

High beam

To see further ahead use your headlights on high beam on any road even if there are street lights.

You must dip your headlights to low beam:

When a vehicle coming toward you is within 200 metres:

Diagram showing two vehicles facing each other approaching a distance of 200m - in this situation you must dip your headlights

When driving 200 metres or less behind another vehicle:

Diagram showing one vehicle approaching from 200m behind another vehicle. If you are the following vehicle you must dip your headlights.

When you overtake another vehicle, you may briefly switch to high beam immediately before starting the overtaking manoeuvre.
Avoid lights that may dazzle

Do not use or allow any light fitted to your vehicle to dazzle another road user.

Avoid looking at the headlights of oncoming vehicles. If you are dazzled by glaring or high beam lights, look to the left side of the road and drive to the left of your lane, slow down or pull over until your eyes recover.
Parking lights

Make sure that other road users can see your parked vehicle. Leave your parking or hazard lights on if necessary.
Fog lights

Front and rear fog lights must only be used in fog or rain, or when conditions such as smoke and dust limit your vision.

It is a legal requirement that once conditions improve and you can see more clearly, the front and rear fog lights are switched off.

If your vehicle is not fitted with fog lights you may use your headlights during the day in these adverse conditions.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Peter :) :)
2007 R51 Pathy TI, Auto, EGR plate, Catchcan, Bridgestone A/T, Dual Spotties, 24" LED Bar, 2DIN HD CAR DVD PLAYER GPS NAV REV CAM
UHF CB, Yaesu VHF-UHF, and HF-VHF-UHF, Codan 9350 Auto Antenna
Ham Radio since 1965, still active in Aust, 1966/67 in South Vietnam

PCOA Member 105
Justpotholes
PCoA Legacy Member

Location - Town or City: Regents Park QLD

Postby dougld » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:10 pm

Hi
My 2013 ST is wired for them all I have to do is buy the switch but as yet I have not.will do in the next few months I will let you know the results.
Doug
White 2013 ST Nudge Bar,Air Bags,HR Towbar, Light Bar.
dougld

Location - Town or City: Coomba Park
Location - State: NSW

Postby Coloes » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:25 pm

Thanks Doug, keep me posted.
Coloes

Return to R51 Pathfinder (2005 to 2013)