EGT Probe Install

R51 specific technical questions & information

Moderator: Forum Administrator

EGT Probe Install

Postby bails » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:04 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to do an ECU flash on my 2011 R51. The tuner want's me to have a EGT gauge install first so we can see the before/after temps and keep everything safe, which is fine by me.

I'm just not sure:

1) What I should be looking for in a good probe and gauge? Any recommendations?
2) What is a good (and practical) location for the probe?

I've have a 3" Xforce turbo back system installed. From memory it had some threaded holes, but I think they were in the front pipe not the dump, and I'm guessing that's too far from the turbo to be using for EGT readings?

I'm also planning to fit a forefront industries intercooler before we do the ECU flash.

FYI it's been a while since I've posted due to technical difficulties. I'm posting as 'bails' now as my 'bails81' account seems to be stuffed. Thought I should mention that in case anyone has been trying to message my old 'bails81' account.
Formerly "bails81"
2011 R51 Ti | 3" XForce Turbo Back| Tough Dogs | ARB Deluxe Bar | 16" Kings Sunraysias & BFG A/Ts | Nissan Snorkel & Towbar | Rhino x-Bars & Basket | GME TX7200 (hardwired) | DIY Drawers & Dual Battery |
bails

Location - Town or City: Queanbeyan
Location - State: NSW
Location - Country: Australia

Re: EGT Probe Install

Postby the_bluester » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:59 pm

The right place for an EGT probe is before the turbo. After it you are not really getting an accurate read on what is happening where it matters. Energy is taken from the exhaust flow to drive the turbone, more or less of it depending on the situation. Mostly what that translates to is a reduction in EGT across the turbine, more or less of a reduction depending on how hard it is working, but the EGT in the manifold tells you what is going on engine wise.
the_bluester

Postby bails » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:14 pm

OK, so I ended up with the probe just after the turbo in the dump pipe as pre turbo was too much of a PITA. For anyone looking for help installing a EGT probe in Canberra/Queanbeyan area I got great service from Powatone in Fyswick.

I ended up pulling the cables through the firewall on the passenger side, and tapping power from a ignition source I found under the centre console (presume it supplies the 12v socket and/or rear ac control panel).

Next question, what egt temps are you guys seeing post turbo.? After a few flat foot up hill tests I've conservatively set the alarm point at 500 for now.
Formerly "bails81"
2011 R51 Ti | 3" XForce Turbo Back| Tough Dogs | ARB Deluxe Bar | 16" Kings Sunraysias & BFG A/Ts | Nissan Snorkel & Towbar | Rhino x-Bars & Basket | GME TX7200 (hardwired) | DIY Drawers & Dual Battery |
bails

Location - Town or City: Queanbeyan
Location - State: NSW

Postby Benno » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:20 am

Hi Balls / Bluester

Just read your post re EGT
I am in the throws of installing an EGT gauge as well.
I am still coming to grips with probe location It would seem to me that before the turbo is best but surely after will still give a "relative" temp that can be monitored & acted on as required?
Next, what is your engine, I have the V9X
Any feedback would be appreciated

Benno
Benno

Location - Town or City: Doonan
Location - State: QLD

Postby jasun » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:58 pm

Hi guys,

I to will be throwing an EGT in over the next few weeks.
I will be going for the threaded dump pipe option. This is the only place I have seen them installed on street dress vehicles. I’ve only ever seen manifold gauges on heavily tuned engines, and then they are immediately at the exhaust port allowing each individual cylinder to be tuned.

My logic for taking the ‘typical’ dump pipe location, when comparing to the majority of people this is where they will be measuring so we have an even comparison.

Interested to see what values you start getting. My ZD30 typically doesn’t exceed 480 under really heavy loads, I did hit 530 once but I was being nasty!!
jasun

Postby toymaz » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:28 pm

Hi Bails
How did you car go with new intercooler and tune etc?
Im going to fit an egt shortly,
They say to fit after the turbo, and that's where i have always seen them installed.
2012 white St Auto, Safari Snorkel, 2"lift,. ARB bullbar ,egr block, 3"exhaust, provent 200,
toymaz

Postby Wade » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:09 pm

I had my EGT fitted on the post turbo, (3 inch exhaust) mainly as I tow a 3 tonne caravan and I need to know how the temp is going. Long hills are the issue, get up around 600degs. sometimes more, but not for long. I use 3rd gear to keep the revs up although they are up around 3000, it keeps the temp under control. Very steep hills, 2nd gear, keeps the engine much cooler. Sometimes I would like more power but my Pathy is the best car I have had.
2010 STL Auto, Lightforce, Nudge Bar, Air springs, Snorkel, Taipan XP 3" exhaust, HR hitch, Black Widow storage, Hankook Dynapro LT-265.65.17, EGT guage, EGR blocked.
Wade

Postby Dingo » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:27 pm

For all intensive purposes post turbo is fine. Most installs are done in the dump pipe as it is far easier to install. As said in other posts it is mostly high horsepower cars that have individual EGT probes in each exhaust port of the header, they are also running custom ECU's to be able to read multiple sensors, but not necessary on a small cube 4wd. Sustained temps above 550C (post turbo) is not recommended. Brief periods are fine.
2010 ST-L Auto, HPD front mount intercooler, EGR block, catchcan, 3" turbo back zorst, EGT Gauge, Unichip, Ultragauge, Front - Radflo coilovers & Chaos Fab UCA's, Rear - OME springs, Polyairs, Radflo remote reservoir shocks SOLD
Dingo

Postby the_bluester » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:24 pm

I have not been on this forum in ages, I have not had a Pathie for a few years now, I traded my R52 on a D23 ute almost two years ago. But I just felt like a look in.

I am in the middle of a major refresh of my race cars electronics and some mechanicals including a new turbo. I asked my tuner about EGT for tuning purposes and while the budget does not run to individual cylinders this year he wanted one for tuning given it will be a bit more ragged edge tuned than before. He told me to fit it pre turbo or not to bother as the temp drop across the turbine is different for every setup and varies in relation to how hard the turbine is working at any given moment even on the same setup. Post turbo is perhaps OK for a bit of a reference but I could easily see say 700 degrees post turbine (Pushing it) but have pre turbine temps into the kill zone. I am also fitting exhaust manifold MAP sense too, but that is another story.
the_bluester

Postby toymaz » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:51 pm

I too have a highly boosted street car, i can see his idea on a race car for pre turbo install for tuning purposes, not that i think mine needs one,its not tuned on the edge. I think its a little different on a basically standard diesel though,a lot of people use a 500deg figure post turbo as a guide for being hot. As the diesel is pretty much on boost all the time at a safe level,
Good AFR ratio, means egt in safe levels.
Chip tuning .com.au has a good article about this, if you are up for a read. Basically says which ever is more convenient, but yes temp is different after turbo.
Cheers
2012 white St Auto, Safari Snorkel, 2"lift,. ARB bullbar ,egr block, 3"exhaust, provent 200,
toymaz

Return to R51 Pathfinder (2005 to 2013)