Replacement Tow Mirrors

R51 specific technical questions & information

Moderator: Forum Administrator

Replacement Tow Mirrors

Postby Beeno » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:01 pm

So the minister for war finance and home affairs has issued a decree that i need to purchase a decent set of tow mirrors before we head to QLD after Christmas.

Thought about the clearview extendable mirrors http://clearviewmirrors.com.au/12164/OUR-MIRRORS/CLEARVIEW-TOWING-MIRRORS/Nissan/PATHFINDER/ but balked at the from $745 price tag. :shock: Yes i know they have a good rep but bloody hell 750 big ones for a set of mirrors?

As the PF is an international vehicle, by rights, someone in the world should make something that fits at a reasonable price. Anyone got any suggestions?
Cheers
Ben
PCoA Legacy Member & ACT Rep

2012 ST-L with a bit of lift, a large plastic straw to breathe through and hunk of steel on the front with a few bits and pieces hanging off it.
Beeno
PCoA Administrator & ACT Rep

Location - Town or City: Canberra
Location - State: ACT
Location - Country: Australia

Re: Replacement Tow Mirrors

Postby CRW » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:36 pm

Try these Ben
http://camec.com/towing-car-accessories ... irror.html

Had a set real good and at $139 great price
Cheers
Carl
200 Series Land Cruiser TT V8 Diesel, and a few goodies towing a Complete Campsite Fraser
CRW
PCoA Administrator

Location - Town or City: Dural NSW

Postby fangios » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:15 pm

Hi,

I have a set of mirrors similar to the Camec ones linked to. I have tried them on the pathfinder, but I am concerned about them damaging the window rubbers, as well as being tight on the windows so that they struggle to go up and down, concerned also about burning out a window motor.

So just bought a set of these http://www.milenco.com/products/mirrors/milenco-grand-aero-towing-mirror/

I could only find good reviews, so bit the bullet and bought them, also $139.

I havent tried them while towing yet, but did to a quick fit up. I like how quick they are to put on and off, and there is no likelihood of them causing damage to the car.

I did notice that the Pathy mirrors are a bit wobbily, but the Milenco mirrors themselves feel rock solid.

Looking forward to trying them out, might do a test next weekend.

PS No way I would spend $800 on mirrors.....
2010 Pathfinder TI, Firestone airbags, HR 550 towbar, anderson plug, green wire mod, Yokohama ATS tyres
fangios

Location - Town or City: Somerville, Victoria

Postby kev.pride » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:21 pm

+1 for the Milenco Grand Aero. I was skeptical but they fit well and many on another Forum also swear by them.

Kevin
2012 ST Auto now with a few extras.
kev.pride

Location - Town or City: Modbury North SA

Postby slashergreen » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:23 pm

I see it's been four years since the previous comments/suggestions in this thread were made. Any current thoughts on the 'best towing mirrors for the R51 Pathfinder' question? I'll be towing an Avan Cruiseliner with my R51 — the width of the van is 2.075m and the span between the outer edges of the Pathfinder mirrors is roughly 2.140m (1.848 excluding mirrors according to the factory specs).
Thanks!
slashergreen

Location - Town or City: Melbourne
Location - State: Vic

Postby DarekD » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:38 pm

I have bought the big heavy duty ones with the van and then a couple of years ago got the https://www.camec.com.au/camec-towing-m ... on-fitting
What a change. I can adjust those from inside. Small and simple. Clearview are truck mirrors, big and ugly. A mate put those on a Patrol and it got twice as loud at speed plus fuel usage went up as well.
Cheers.
DarekD

Location - Town or City: Brisbane
Location - State: QLD

Postby toymaz » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:20 pm

Hi Darekd
I bought the same $21 ones , i thought they were good until i drove on the road, they just shook about and distorted the view. I stopped, and removed .when i returned, i put them back in the package and returned them to Anaconda.
Im glad you had more success.
My camper is vehicle width, so just go without.
2012 white St Auto, Safari Snorkel, 2"lift,. ARB bullbar ,egr block, 3"exhaust, provent 200,
toymaz

Postby DarekD » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:56 pm

Hi Toymaz,
My car is standard height and spring rate with air bags in the back. Just larger LT tyres. Obviously has a better ride and they hang on very well. I only lost one once, probably because I didn't clean the side mirror properly. I tow 2+ ton 2.5m wide road van so do not need them on any rough road. Absolutely love them as I can see the road behind the trailer in those and the back of the car in side ones. and adjust on the go as needed.
Don't forget that with 50mm lift you have almost no down travel in your front suspension at all and only about 50mm spring compression so you lose half of total travel. Beats me why you guys do it.
DarekD

Location - Town or City: Brisbane
Location - State: QLD

Postby toymaz » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:53 pm

Double up
Last edited by toymaz on Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2012 white St Auto, Safari Snorkel, 2"lift,. ARB bullbar ,egr block, 3"exhaust, provent 200,
toymaz

Postby toymaz » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:02 pm

Darek my car isn't rough to drive at all, my wife drives is nearly every day. She would complain if it was rough. They are $20 mirrors for a reason.
I know you bang on about lift kits all the time. Might loose some travel, but if its sooo wrong, they wouldn't be sold.
Also Depends where you drive, i don't have a caravan limited to highways ,my camper will go anywhere that i can take my car off road. If it was a road going 4x4, it would be standard height.
Whilst stories are written about lifting cars, they also say going over 40-50mm lift is more of a problem.
Like most lifted vehicles on this forum ,its done to take off road more successfully. Secondly with mine, less chance of a mongrel kangaroo going over the bonnet.
toymaz

Next

Return to R51 Pathfinder (2005 to 2013)