Fuel Consumption for new 140kw 450Nm diesel ?

R51 specific technical questions & information

Moderator: Committee

Fuel Consumption for new 140kw 450Nm diesel ?

Postby coligera » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:04 am

Hi,

Nissan material quotes 8.6 L/100klm for open road for the new engine with manual gear-box.

Does anyone have experience with a fully loaded truck ..................... ie; fully loaded roof rack, fully loaded storage, and 4 adults on board. I assume under this load 8.6 is impossible ?
coligera

Re: Fuel Consumption for new 140kw 450Nm diesel ?

Postby EKC » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:47 am

Hi Coligera

I am pretty sure the they don't load up the test cars like you have described so I would doubt you could get the same figures, having said that I Can get sub 9L from the current motor with a full load and surfboards on the roof. That is on the pacific hwy north of Sydney which is almost all freeway to Coffs so it is pretty easy 110km/h cruising.

It also depends on what roads you are driving on, on flat roads the load isn't as impoortant to economy as the wind resistance or your driving style.
EKC

Postby stuartcarr2002 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:04 pm

Hey

We have the new series 4 auto and on a trip dorwn to Canberra we got it down to mid 9's and that was with about 300ks on the clock. Now it is sitting around 10.5-11 around the city. I am happy with that as it is close to what the sticker says. It is still running in so hopefully it will only get better.

Cant wait to tow our jayco Eagle with it. Then we will see how much it uses with a load.
2010 Series 4 ST in Arctic white Auto... Dam this thing goes hard
Former Patrol owner :(
stuartcarr2002

Postby Wallace » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:15 pm

I'm gonna tow my boat from Sydney to Cooktown and back this Christmas with my 2005 ST-L auto diesel, then I'm gonna do the trip again at Christmas 2012 in my new Ti 3.0 litre diesel auto to compare the fuel consumption.

Well, actually, I don't really care about the fuel consumption, I just love towing the boat to Cooktown for Christmas!

:D
Wallace

Postby Smitty » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:43 pm

1800km on the new manual pathy around the suburbs (short journeys, stop go) we are getting 9.5l/100

Get it out on a run with 3 adults 2 kids and day trip stuff and it was dropping.
2010 R51 Pathfinder ST-L
Removed Factory Rails | Dolium Windcheetah Full Length Rack | Kalahari 2mx25m awning and mossie room with LED rope lights | Hayman Reese HD towbar | TJM air compressor | Twin recovery hooks | Bridgestone D697 265/65R17 LT | Home Made Shelving unit
Smitty

Postby chewy » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:29 pm

you know that the fuel consumption numbers calculated under ADR 81/01 have only a partial relation to real world values... :wink:
running a vehicle to determine fuel consumption is affected by many factors that are impossible to control and keep consistent (temperature, wind, loading of vehicle, driving style etc). The only way to get numbers that can be compared is to conduct the tests under laboratory conditions, so that the results are reproducable and consistent across all runs. In theory, if you drive your vehicle like they do in the ADR testing, you should get the exact same economy numbers.
see this link for more info:
https://www.mynrma.com.au/cps/rde/xchg/ ... l-deal.htm
and
http://forums.overlander.com.au/viewtop ... b95b945972

The numbers are indicative of fuel economy - they are good for comparisons between vehicles, but i don't think they make sense as absolute values - i.e trying to drive a vehicle around town and expecting the value on the sticker. these values should really be used as a guide, particularly when comparing vehicles.

some numbers that i typically get
2005 subaru outback H6,3.0L, auto ADR(combined): 11.1 typical usage (mainly around town): 12.8
2008 subaru impreza, 2.0L, manual ADR(combined): 8.8, typical usage (i drive 40kms door to door for work so certainly more country style driving): 7.6
2010 nissan pathfinder, 2.5TD, auto, ADR(combined):9.0, typical usage (mainly around town): 10.6

i hope that helps explain why you may not (ever) be able to match the fuel economy stated on the window
chewy

Postby bison82 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:00 am

I have the MY07 manual TD and my consumption in sydney is around the +15l/ 100km consistantly.
Im not a led foot but I live near the airport and work in the city and so the stop start kills it and my clutch. When it takes you an hour to drive 9km some days its no wonder...
However, I can get high 8's low 9's on a nice stretch of HWY.
Will be doing a syd- bris trip in 2 weeks so will be nice to see those low figures again.
MY07 R51 ST-L diesel/ man, Steel Bar, winch, Chip it chip, EGR mod, OME Nitrosport, 265/75/16's BF Goody KM2 MT's, proper clutch, proper brakes, Scangauge, UHF, Polaris, custom drawers.
bison82

Postby shandyandcharlotte » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:41 am

Hi all.
bison82 and anyone else?

Has anyone else noticed an increase in consumption since upgrading the clutch?

I recently had a Heavy Duty Clutch and Solid Flywheel installed in my 2008 R51.
At the same time, I had Nissan reset the computer, because the exhaust was blowing a bushfire every time I accelerated (got a warning from the QLD Police about it, after being followed up a hill…).

Now its not smokey, but its up to av. 11.5L/100km from 9’s.
Is it the more direct drive with a real clutch inflating this figure, or does it need to re-learn the fuel pump and EGR settings again?

Cheers, Todd
08 R51 ST-L TD 6 Speed, Scratches and Dirt, Graphite Grey, Tint, Factory Tow Bar, Factory Nudge Bar. Roof Bars (rak.com.au). Rear Camera. Rola Roof Pod. AIRLIFT 1000 (rear). 2in lift. Kumho AT's HD Clutch and Solid Flywheel. Weekday commuter. Weekend tow machine. Jayco Dove and HD UteTub trailer.
shandyandcharlotte

Postby bison82 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:47 am

i dont know whether mine has increased fuel consumption as my clutch was already upgraded when i bought it. all i know is i hate stop start up hills which i face every day from work...
It does get smoky when i plant the foot but thats nothing out of the ordinary as it not all the time. just gets the crap out. Im blocking my EGR today aswell as i had a stainless plate made up for it at work so that should stop some of my smoke. (have a water jet cutter)
I did do the ECU "learn" about 2 months ago but might do it again soon as its not feeling as sharp as it was when i bought it.
MY07 R51 ST-L diesel/ man, Steel Bar, winch, Chip it chip, EGR mod, OME Nitrosport, 265/75/16's BF Goody KM2 MT's, proper clutch, proper brakes, Scangauge, UHF, Polaris, custom drawers.
bison82

Postby Chippa » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:07 pm

Not sure about the 8.6/100 testing environment for the new wagons but I do know that in mine get downt to 8.4/100 on my trips to newcastle from the gold coast...but.....

I dont stop... I get to 5 k's above the speed limit and thats it..... I start the trip on a full tank at 4 am..... I honestly think the cooler air is why I get such good economy on a full tank.

I dont double pump on down changes and Im the only one\thing in the wagon :-) (less tool box, water, spare jocks and sox, recovery gear and air compressor)

On the return trip, on the exact same piece of black stuff I get 8.6/100... if anyone has a rational explaination for this please feel free to share... Im completely stumped as to why, especially when I leave at 4 am for the return.....

Around town Im getting 9.1/100 and im noticing a little bit more black smoke.... might be time for another service i think...

A colleague at work recently took a 2010 st-l manual for a blat and it averaged 9.2/100 between the gold coast and gympie... His response after I talked up the pathie was "I dont believe these claimed figures at all..."

Could it be because the engine is still tight..????
2006 ST-L TD Manual, MT MTZ's & Dueller D697 AT's, Pair of IPF 900's, 2" EFS lift kit, ARB delux front bar, Uniden UH500sx, 60 ltr on board water tank - pump and shower, 120A hr 2nd battery, Rear Shelf and custom storage draws.
Chippa

Postby AdAm » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:14 pm

Chippa wrote:Not sure about the 8.6/100 testing environment for the new wagons but I do know that in mine get downt to 8.4/100 on my trips to newcastle from the gold coast...but.....

I dont stop... I get to 5 k's above the speed limit and thats it..... I start the trip on a full tank at 4 am..... I honestly think the cooler air is why I get such good economy on a full tank.

I dont double pump on down changes and Im the only one\thing in the wagon :-) (less tool box, water, spare jocks and sox, recovery gear and air compressor)

On the return trip, on the exact same piece of black stuff I get 8.6/100... if anyone has a rational explaination for this please feel free to share... Im completely stumped as to why, especially when I leave at 4 am for the return.....

Around town Im getting 9.1/100 and im noticing a little bit more black smoke.... might be time for another service i think...

A colleague at work recently took a 2010 st-l manual for a blat and it averaged 9.2/100 between the gold coast and gympie... His response after I talked up the pathie was "I dont believe these claimed figures at all..."

Could it be because the engine is still tight..????

Dont question the figures, just be happy!! i think anything under 11lt per 100 is good for the size and weight of the vehicle, if people wanted to get the figures below 9lt per 100 get an i30 !!
AdAm

Postby shandyandcharlotte » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:30 pm

Dont question the figures, just be happy!! i think anything under 11lt per 100 is good for the size and weight of the vehicle, if people wanted to get the figures below 9lt per 100 get an i30 !!

Agreed...

I'm not currently getting under 11... 3 weeks ago, I was getting 9's
thats a 20% increase.
I drive the same way to and from work each day, as I was before, nothing has changed except, "re-learn fuel pump, re-learn EGR, and new clutch"

Where is the reset button? think I read lots about it here a while ago.(time to search this forum)

Cheers, Todd
08 R51 ST-L TD 6 Speed, Scratches and Dirt, Graphite Grey, Tint, Factory Tow Bar, Factory Nudge Bar. Roof Bars (rak.com.au). Rear Camera. Rola Roof Pod. AIRLIFT 1000 (rear). 2in lift. Kumho AT's HD Clutch and Solid Flywheel. Weekday commuter. Weekend tow machine. Jayco Dove and HD UteTub trailer.
shandyandcharlotte

Postby webbo51 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:12 am

I have the 2010 newbie in Auto and have done 2800 km so far. The first couple of weeks were just around town and the average gradually dropped from high 12's to 11.3. This week I've done 3 trips from north-side Brissy to Coolangatta (with roof rack, bike fitting and surfboard) & return and average has dropped to 10.2 so I'd expect maybe low 9's on longer trips? My previous drive was a 2.0l TDI Golf and averaged 5.4 so I'm hurting at the pump! While I really like the Pathy, I wish it had a DSG trans like the VeeDub!
Steve W
2010 200 ser Toyota Landcruiser, ARB OME suspension, ARB front & rear bar with wheel carrier, drawers, GME radio.
webbo51

Postby the_bluester » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:57 am

Webbo, if you want to see what it is doing now you would need to reset the average consumption on the trip meter (I assume that is where you are getting your reading from) The average displayed will be over the whole 2800km unless you have reset it or had the battery disconnected.

Given the size, weight and earodynamics of these cars I reckon any average in the tens or better is a pretty reasonable result. After all, it would be at least 800kg heavier than your old Golf.

I also reckon a DSG type transmission would be nice, but in something like the Pathy I reckon they would need a torque converter in front of it with a heavy duty lockup clutch, that way if you were towing a trailer or moving off under some other heavy load situation you couls take advantage of the converters multiplication effect and slip to get moving before locking up entirely, same for driving in traffic. My only real gripe against the few DSG type cars I have driven is the on/off delivery of drive when you are trying to creep around slowly and the box decides that you are stopping so uncouples the clutches.
the_bluester

Postby webbo51 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:25 pm

Yep, I agree re the DSG type trans. - not really suitable for the Pathfinder's intended purpose. I'll take your advice and reset the trip 'puter and that'll give me my current. As you say, the consumption from of these cars, given what they are and how they are geared etc. is petty damn good - certainly so much better than even a couple of years ago.
Steve W
2010 200 ser Toyota Landcruiser, ARB OME suspension, ARB front & rear bar with wheel carrier, drawers, GME radio.
webbo51

Next

Return to R51 Pathfinder (2005 to 2013)