$1900 to replace brakes at 36,000 service!!!!

R51 specific technical questions & information

Moderator: Committee

$1900 to replace brakes at 36,000 service!!!!

Postby Buzzy--Bee » Fri May 21, 2010 2:16 pm

Hi, I've got my 2007 Ti in for a sevice at the moment, the dealer just rung me and said the front and rear brake pads need replacing and the front brake something-elses and it will be $1900. I don't have that sort of money right now so I asked him not to do the work as he said there were a couple of thousand ks left in them.

Is this normal? The car is not yet 3 years old, we're not hard on it, 99% on the blacktop and only 36000 ks, I would have thought the brakes would hold up better than that. Plus the price seems rather high.

What do you think?

BB
Ti R51 with tints...
Buzzy--Bee

Re: $1900 to replace brakes at 36,000 service!!!!

Postby rodv61 » Fri May 21, 2010 2:39 pm

There is a number of people on the forum that have experienced bad brake wear and needing replacing at 30-40k.
I managed to get 80k from the front and 87k from the rear, my dealer kept on telling me that they needed replacing from 50k onwards, I was a bit sceptical so I just kept an eye on the pad wear until they actually needed doing.
Cost me $800 for aftermarket DBA rotors and Bendix pads, the dealer fitted them when I had it serviced for $200.
Rod
Pathfinder 2007 ST-L TD Auto, Tint, Ausguard Cargo Barrier, Nissan Tow Kit, Polyairs, Checkerplate sump plate, DBA/Bendix, Yokohama A/T-S, Camper trailer that's that old it doesn't even have a brand.
rodv61

Postby 4493 » Fri May 21, 2010 4:11 pm

I would like to know where you get your car serviced, wherein the dealer/service centre let you bring in your own parts and charge two hundred dollars to fit I find this a bit hard to believe sorry.

Postby gregdrem » Fri May 21, 2010 4:25 pm

One example of this is Albany Nissan in WA

I sourced my own pads/rotors and they fitted for me as part of 90k service

Labour cost was around $250 all up for both sets of pads and rotors with me supplying parts - parts were about $860
Greg

(Nissan geuine items were around $200/rotor and close to $450/set of pads)
2006 R51 ST TD Auto
gregdrem

Postby 4493 » Fri May 21, 2010 4:40 pm

I will have to try Albany Nissan as i am in Bunbury so may be worth the drive, I know Midland nissan flatly refuse to allow this so may try Albany for next service.

Cheers

:D :D :D :D :D

Postby GeorgeAlmighty » Fri May 21, 2010 4:49 pm

iv never heard of a dealer 'refusing' to fit parts.... they might dont warrant those items(or any consequently effected items) but they should always fit them.

i used to work at nissan and we had no problem with it.
GeorgeAlmighty

Postby Tadhg » Fri May 21, 2010 7:41 pm

BB, I replaced my rear pads at 35,000km. :x The fronts lasted another 6 months. :( When the pads were done, I had the rotors machined (I'm guessing that's what they want to replace). If they want to replace rotors under 50k, I'd be asking for them to be covered under warranty. I vaguely recall hearing that someone on here had success with that - might be worth a search..? :wink:

Cost? The pads... I paid about $200 for new pads and rotor machining (fitting new pads, it's worth machining the rotors - if there's enough thickness left in them to be legal - to give the new pads something square to work against) at each end (so, about $400, maybe $450 all up). I chose to go to someone other than the dealer to make sure I didn't get genuine replacement parts - I wanted better pads, something that'd last more than 40k. Rotors are dearer than machining (which can be as little as $50 for the two wheels), but $1900... Does that include the service? The service at 36k - I'm guessing that's the 40k service? The 40k service is a major service - regular 10k servicing's in the $3** range, 40k's more like $700-$800, 80k service is a little more. So... $800 for the service, $400 for pads and machining the rear rotors, that leaves $700 for new front rotors... It's a bit dear. Not out of the question, but certainly not great value. :roll:
Tadhg

Postby Floyd » Sat May 22, 2010 3:02 pm

Had mine done (front and rear,pads and rotors) @ Ultratune Redcliffe at 78k, was quoted $1350 for parts plus labour, sourced myself from Sydney (using info from this forum - thanks) including freight for $650. Had them fitted for about $130 at the same place, they didn't get to argue too much about fitting my parts after they overquoted by that much!
Cheers.
Silver 2006 ST-L 2.5 TD.
Floyd

Postby Deedaz » Sun May 23, 2010 12:52 am

I know how you feel. Had a Nissan service tell me that my 07 st-l needed front
and rear pads changed and that needed all the rotors changed as well. I was in
shock at this point and said not to touch a thing. Took the pathy to my local ABS store
who i have to date been back a few times to, and whom I trust. They checked it out in front
of me and said it was rubbish. They shaved front n rears, still well legal, replaced with soft
pads, and besides the dust the wear has slowed considerably. Iam now up to 70 k. On the last
inspection ABS said that I might need the rear disc's replaced in the coming service. So there you go
theirs my story.
Pathfinder 2007 Series 3 Auto, Diesel.
BFG's A/T, TJM Bash plates

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt...........Mark Twain.
Deedaz

Postby Buzzy--Bee » Sun May 23, 2010 6:18 am

Deedaz wrote:I know how you feel. Had a Nissan service tell me that my 07 st-l needed front
and rear pads changed and that needed all the rotors changed as well. I was in
shock at this point and said not to touch a thing. Took the pathy to my local ABS store
who i have to date been back a few times to, and whom I trust. They checked it out in front
of me and said it was rubbish. They shaved front n rears, still well legal, replaced with soft
pads, and besides the dust the wear has slowed considerably. Iam now up to 70 k. On the last
inspection ABS said that I might need the rear disc's replaced in the coming service. So there you go
theirs my story.

Mate, that's more like it.

Nissan have actually put in writing how many ks they reckon there is on the pads etc. I will definitely be seeking a second opinion.

Thank you everyone for your advice.

BB
Ti R51 with tints...
Buzzy--Bee

Postby Jarh73 » Sun May 23, 2010 11:17 am

Just a thought but "if" you are handy with the tools you could consider doing it yourself?

Cheers

Justin
2000 model R50, Impco LPG conversion. Genuine Nissan alloy bullbar. John55's old Bash plate. 245/75 BFG Mud terrains on Steel Holden Frontera rims. Polyairs, Garmin eTrex Handheld GPS. 2.5 Inch Stainless Steel Sports Exhaust. And a 1998 Nissan Patrol GU 2.8 Turbo Diesel with lots and lots of stuff!
Jarh73

Postby Browny » Sun May 23, 2010 3:26 pm

Hi all,

It is with some fear and trepidation that I post some thoughts on the brake wear problem because there is so much strong feeling about it. But I will give it a try. :oops:

I recognise that many people are unhappy with rapid wear of brake rotors. I also have changed mine at 50000 Kms. But understanding the reason for the rapid wear may be helpful. It is often considered bad design or poor quality parts, but I understand that it is driven by design needs.

The braking standards in Europe are driven by the EU requirement for "unassisted" brake testing meaning brakes are required to stop the vehicle without power assistance (for instance in a stalled motor situation or leaking brake fluid). This, and other elements of the standards, are more difficult to meet than Australian Design Rules (ADR) which I understand are similar to Asian rules.

To meet the European standard, manufacturers have used a design with soft brake rotors and agressive pads. This gives much greater grip and better braking performance. But the side affect is more rapid brake wear. Vehicles designed to meet Asian or Australian standards can afford harder rotors and still meet the local standard and have better wear. But brakes designed for ADRs would not meet European standards.

What I am trying to say is that the Pathfinder brakes perform exactly as they are designed and (arguably) provide better braking performance but with greater wear. This "problem" is common across European designed cars such as VW, BMW, Mercedes and some Ford (eg Focus) and Holden models. As we know from research and experience in this forum is that you can replace the rotors with ADR compliant ones (eg DBA) which are harder and wear less. But (arguably) with reduced braking performance.

I suggest that it is for this reason that Nissan (or VW or Mercedes etc) will not agree that our perception of unacceptable brake wear is a warranty issue. Yes the brakes have worn faster than we have been used to in Australia. But they do so as a side affect of providing stronger braking performance as required by European rules. This would be their position.

Should Nissan (or other manufacturers for that matter) have done a better job of managing our expectations on this issue? Well thats another question all together.

Anyway, I turely hope some of you find this information useful. :|

Regards
Browny
Browny

Postby Tadhg » Sun May 23, 2010 5:03 pm

Browny, all that's pretty reasonable, except... It doesn't answer the question as to why the brakes are left with the high-wearing European rubbish. :? Japanese cars either get through the Euro standards as they are shipped to Australia (i.e. with longer wearing brakes), or they have a different spec rotor and pad that we don't have to suffer. Nissan doesn't fit the same stereo in Australia as it does in other markets (we get a much cheaper one). We don't get the same seats. The power window switches are in my driver's door, not the passenger door. Why do we get the same rubbish brakes? :roll: I haven't researched on The Nissan Path, but it'd be interesting to see how the Yanks go with their brakes. After all, they also have the option of a 5.6L V8 - I wouldn't want these rotors/pads with that engine. You'd be through them in a flash! :(

Further, with the ADR setup, there's no reason to expect a higher wearing braking solution will continue to provide extra braking capability with boosted brakes compared to unboosted brakes. The extra pressure able to be applied with the booster could lead to higher temperatures and impeded performance compared to lower wearing pads that are designed to be used with a booster. No one with after market pads/rotors has complained that they're not as effective. :wink: If small companies can do this (especially if they can't sell the rotors/compounds in Europe), why can't Nissan..? Or why can't Nissan spec the pads be dealer fitted out here, instead of the genuine pads..? :?

Finally... There's quite a number of complaints about the master cylinder. One is that it's overpriced. Two that, even stock, often new, the pedal can be pushed to the floor. Why is that? It's not confidence inspiring. Unfortunately, there's no alternative replacement part available if yours dies yet, either. Aftermarket suppliers aren't making them yet. If aftermarket suppliers made a brake system that's as uninspiring and confidence sapping as the R51's can be (between the high pad/rotor wear and the pedal travel and MC problems people have experienced), they'd sell none. Can you imagine people going out and buying PBR/DBA/AP/Brembo/Alkon/Tarox gear if it was like this? Obviously, if you're paying a premium, you expect a premium product, but even the OEM standard gear they sell is better to use than the Pathie's stock setup.

Still love my Pathie, though. :) It only gets better when parts get replaced. :lol:
Tadhg

Postby GeorgeAlmighty » Sun May 23, 2010 5:41 pm

an interesting thing i just remembered from my days at nissan..... wen the r51 and d40 were new, we had alot of complaints of a soft brake pedal..... we found that jumping on the brakes hard (to activate the abs) would noticeable improve the pedal feel. we suspected the early models had some sort of air pocket or something that was overlooked in production. customers were happy with the difference.
GeorgeAlmighty

Postby EKC » Mon May 24, 2010 9:25 am

Interesting comment George Almighty

Honda have recalled cars in the US (see link) due to the stabilty control system allowing air innto the brake system, makes you wonder if something similar isn't happening with the Pathy. I did the MC test as per the workshop manual which involved puming the brakes holding them to the floor etc and the brakes felt much better after the test but went away again shortly after..

http://tinyurl.com/2alh9rz
EKC

Next

Return to R51 Pathfinder (2005 to 2013)